Saturday 14 February 2015

1, 2, 3… Who's accounting?

If you read our last blog, you’ll know that finance is not the favourite job of our Program Director, Ali. So we were very grateful to have had an accounting super-brain on our team recently, belonging to Kate Emery (known to her fellow HOOPsters as ‘Kate from London’).

But what inspired Kate (who’s actually from Sussex) to pack her bags and fly half way round the world to help a small charity in Peru?: “I wanted to travel around South America ever since I spent a month in Mexico ten years ago. When I was made redundant, it was the perfect opportunity to have a break between jobs and tie in volunteering with some travel.”

A while before joining HOOP, Kate had stumbled across an organisation called Accounting for International Development (AfID). AfID matches accountants with small NGOs to help them with their budgeting, bookkeeping and financial reporting. It was the perfect opportunity for Kate to have an adventure (which you can read about in her blog), help a worthy cause (us!), and learn some Spanish (¡!).

So Kate jumped on a plane and brought her 15 years of accounting experience to HOOP, where she helped ensure we’re doing things as transparently and professionally possible. Kate said: “It was great to be able to use my experience to help non-experts as I know where to look for common mistakes. I guided Ali through the budget process by thinking strategically and then translating strategy into numbers.”

So what advice would Kate have for any fellow accountants thinking of taking a break between jobs?: “Volunteering is different for different people but I figured that someone in my industry can have a really positive impact. You can actually pass on important technical knowledge within the charity and hopefully leave them with more confidence to carry it on. And I've got something different on my CV now so if I decide to look at accounting jobs in the charity sector, then AfID placements are really well respected.”

So overall, did Kate enjoy placement at HOOP?: “I had a great time. I was still using my brain but doing it in completely different surroundings and making new friends, as well as being able to travel around at weekends. It was also nice to be in one place for a while and really get to know it - repacking and moving on every other day gets exhausting after a while. That said I'm doing pure travel now and loving it!”

So it sounds like Kate had a good time here, and HOOP saw huge benefits too. So, since we were such a perfect match, we just wanted to say…


Happy Valentine’s Day, Kate!



Words and images by Tom Hornbrook