Saturday 14 March 2015

HOOP gets lessons in business from some sharp Wharton MBA students!


This week we've been lucky enough to have four bright MBA students from The Wharton School on the HOOP team, who are helping us be even more effective as an NGO. The group has developed some new key performance indicators for us, to help keep us focussed on our vision of breaking Flora Tristan free of poverty forever. With such a wealth of skills and experience, we've been very lucky to have them this week!

In between meetings, presentations and an energetic workload, I managed to find a brief moment to catch up with them!



A bit of background


Eun Jung Ro, from South Korea, has more than three years’ management consulting experience. As a member of the social impact team for her last job, helping NGOs and social enterprises become more effective is a subject close to her heart.

Lesley Duong Do, from Vietnam, completed an undergraduate degree in finance. She has worked in market research and consulting. 

Rekha Marda grew up in both the US and India, before graduating from New York University with a major in Finance.  She spent four years working in investment banking. Her passion for education for children began in India after teaching English for a year.

Eunsoo Shin, from South Korea graduated from Seoul National University with a major in Pharmacy. After graduating she worked in consulting and commercial banking. Her passion for NGO activities began after working with a child education and health NGO in Nairobi.

Why will this be a valuable experience for you?


Lesley: “As someone coming from a developing country, education and poverty eradication is a topic that is dear to my heart. I greatly value this opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the organization and the community.”


Eun Jung: “I love that I can apply some of the skills I learnt from consulting towards educating children and contributing to the community.”

Rekha:  “I am really interested in helping educate children, so feel really great about helping HOOP deliver on its mission of alleviating poverty through education. By working on the project, I am getting the chance to learn more about the workings of education non-profits. This will be very valuable to me in future volunteer experiences.”

Eunsoo: “I want to learn about Peruvian culture and meet people here. For me, I strongly believe that I cannot say that I know Peru after just visiting Machu Picchu, without interaction with Peruvians!”

What attracted you to work with HOOP?


Rekha: “I really liked how professional and competent the management of HOOP is. During my first few conversations with Alison, I was struck by how knowledgeable she is and how well HOOP is run, particularly given its small scale.”

Eun Jung: “I have so much respect for the staff and volunteers at HOOP who live up to their passion and beliefs – they are a true inspiration.”

Lesley: “This is my first time in Peru and South America in general. I feel really lucky to not only have the chance to visit the place, but also to work with an amazing and committed team, to bring a positive impact to the community.”



What are your first impressions of Arequipa and Peru?


Lesley: “I am so glad to have Arequipa as the first city I visited in Peru. Everyone that I have met has been truly friendly, welcoming and helpful. I also got a chance to visit a family in the Flora Tristan community and to see how much they value education and the work that HOOP is doing.

Eun Jung: “The best part so far is when I visited a family - I felt so lucky to be able to contribute to the community of such warm, wise and confident people.”

Eunsoo: “Arequipa is a beautiful city. I don’t think I can forget the beautiful scenery of the Plaza de Armas at night.”








Working alongside the girls has been an absolute pleasure, and we can’t wait to put into practice what they have taught us this week! We wish them all the best with the rest of their MBA!

Written by Oliver Adams