Saturday 18 April 2015

Seven months of HOOP!

All good things must end eventually, and we’re sad this week to be saying goodbye to one of our long-term volunteers. After seven months with HOOP, Catherine is heading back to the UK. But before we let her go, we thought we’d ask her some questions for our blog:

What did you do before you came to HOOP?

I was finishing my second year at university. I’m studying a degree in International Development at the University of Portsmouth, and volunteering can be taken as a year abroad to get experience. So in September I’ll go back to university for a year and graduate!

Why did you decide to volunteer at HOOP?

I liked the idea of what HOOP was about and the idea of coming to Peru for half a year sounded really exciting.

What have you been doing at HOOP?

I first started at HOOP in September 2014 as a volunteer English teacher in Monkey class. Then In January I started working in the office as an intern, which has included editing videos, managing our social media and newsletters and building relationships with universities so more people like me can come and do the same thing!

Which do you prefer?

They are both very different and doing part of my placement in the classroom and part in the communications team has given me the best of both worlds. If I had to pick, I think it’d be being a teacher as everyday was completely different!

So would you say your experience with HOOP has helped with your university course and what have you learned along the way?

Yes, I have a better understanding of how an NGO is run and I have seen all the different sides to the charity. I studied charities at university so being able to see the organisation in real life has helped a lot.

What have you enjoyed the most about your time at HOOP?

Getting to know the children in my Monkey class and meeting all of the other volunteers.

What was the worst bit and did you face any difficulties while volunteering?

Well, it would have to be falling of a mountain bike on the slopes of Chachani, a nearby volcano, and breaking my collar bone! I had to have surgery...which isn’t nice when you’re so far from home, but I had support from HOOP and the other volunteers. But don’t worry I don’t think this has ever happened to anyone else at HOOP!

Did you ever miss home at all and what do you miss the most about the UK?

Not really minus a little over the Christmas period, as I was having such a good experience in Peru...The thing I miss most about the UK except my family and friends has to be the food!

So would you recommend volunteering with a small NGO abroad?

Yes, even as someone who had never volunteered abroad or even been out of Europe, I think it was a great experience. I feel like I have managed to experience all aspects of how a charity is run which is an important aspect of my university course. Also everyone I met during my seven months here has been friendly and welcoming, making for a great experience and if I could, I’d stay a few more months!


Written by Catherine O’Gorman